This recipe is from Canadian Living. It looked nice in the photo so I made it. It tastes good, and because it's served cold it is suitable for a nice light summer dessert.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp icing suger
- 12 strawberries
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tsp unflavoured gelatin
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw two 8-inch circles on each sheet; turn paper over, set aside. Line side of 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In bowl, beat together egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form; beat in granulated sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon one quarter of the egg white mixture onto each circle, using offset spatula or knife, spread evenly to the edge. Bake in the top and bottom thirds of a 275ºF oven, switching and rotating pans halfway through, until tops are firm; about one hour. Let cool on the pan on a rack; peel off the paper.
- In a food processor, puree strawberries with sugar until smooth, pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by one third, and a spoon drawn across the bottom leaves a space that doesn't fill in; about 30 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
- Pour water into a small bowl, sprinkle in the gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the gelatin mixture to the strawberry mixture and stir until melted. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the consistency of raw egg whites, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Fold it into the strawberry mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Place one meringue into the springform pan. Spoon 1/3 of the mousse over the meringue; spread to edge of pan. Repeat twice, covering the top with the remaining meringue. Cover with a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze, until firm, about 4 hours. To serve, let torte soften in refrigerator for 30 minutes, garnish with strawberries and icing sugar.