- Remove the EpiPen from its carrying tube. Take off the grey safety cap.
- Hold the EpiPen firmly in your fist, with the black tip near the patient's outer thigh.
- Jab the black tip of the EpiPen firmly into the patient's thigh at a 90 degree angle. Hold for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds (the EpiPen's window will show red) the injection is complete. Remove the EpiPen and massage the injection site.
- CALL 911.
- Put the used EpiPen into the storage tube. The exposed needle will be protected in the tube. Do not touch the needle.
I know some of you out there are thinking of some funny wise-crack about this process but I urge you to stifle it and consider these instructions carefully. Knowing this could save someone's life.
The EpiPen website has a PDF with more detail.
Images courtesy of www.epipen.com